CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 11, 2011

Kitchen Misadventures...

I think failure is too harsh a word. I definitely feel like one a lot of the time, but when it comes to cooking, I'd like to think that a little exploration and creativity shouldn't be marked as such. That's why I'm going to call this one a misadventure. It makes it sound like some great culinary undertaking was about to happen, if it weren't for a tiny misstep. Yeah, I like it. Look for this as a reoccurring theme here at InThreeMinutes. Misadventuring is just as important as adventuring!

This misadventure is brought to you by the Food Network Magazine and grapefruit. This month's issue had a section called "10 minute desserts". I love desserts AND races against the clock, so I was thrilled to try it out. The dessert I attempted was Grapefruit Brûlée. Here are the instructions given:
Slice a grapefruit in half.
Segment it, but don't take the segments out.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Torch the sugar with a kitchen torch.

Done and done. Guess what I got? A burned grapefruit. The sugar soaked in faster than I could torch it, and so I was left cooking the top of the fruit. I did get a little gummy sugar coating from what sugar did stay on top, but there was too much water in the grapefruit for it to get crunchy.



Nothing lost, nothing gained, right?

0 comments: